Can Chickens Eat Kiwi Fruit?

Can Chickens Eat Kiwi Fruit

Kiwi fruit is known as a superfood for its high content of vitamins and minerals in a small size. Also, they have a sweet and sour taste that can be eaten fresh, in a salad, smoothies, and even a meal. Due to their nutritional value, you may be wondering if you can feed kiwi fruit to chickens.

Can chickens eat kiwi fruit? The great thing about kiwi fruit is that the entire fruit can be eaten by the chickens. Kiwi is full of nutrients that the chickens can benefit from. Plus, chickens love the taste of kiwi too.

Health Benefits of Kiwi Fruit for Chickens

Guinea Pig Eating x

While most people think apple, oranges, and lemon as being the miracle fruits, kiwi is one of the fruits that should be added to the list. Small than an apple and an orange, kiwi is packed with more nutrition for their size. When compared to apples, kiwis contain six times the nutrient density. By feeding kiwi fruit to the chickens, you can give them a nutritional boost.

Below are some of the health benefits the chickens can get from eating kiwi fruit:

Helps in Digestion. Kiwi fruit contains an enzyme known as actinidain. This enzyme helps dissolve the protein during digestion. Since a lot of foods contain protein, feeding this fruit to them will help in the digestion of proteins.

Keeps The Body Healthy. Kiwi fruit is a high source of vitamin C. The vitamin act as a powerful antioxidant, which helps eliminate free radicals that could cause inflammation. Also, it helps boost the immunity of the body against harmful pathogens.

A Powerhouse of Vitamins and Minerals. Kiwi fruit is loaded with vitamins and minerals. This includes Vitamins A, B6, B12, E, calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium. All of these contribute to the proper functioning of the body.

Can Chickens Eat Kiwi Fruit

Can Chickens Eat Kiwi Fruit Skin and Seeds?

While the flesh is usually what most people feed their chickens, the skin and seeds are safe for them to eat as well.

The skin of the kiwi fruit is a bit tough for them to eat as a whole. Therefore, you can cut the skin into small pieces before feeding them. Before giving them to the chickens, just give it a good wash to remove the fuzzy trichomes off the skin. Sometimes, if the chickens eat too much of it, the fuzzy trichomes can irritate their throats.

As for the seeds, they are edible and small enough for the chickens to eat. They pose no choking hazard and can be fed to baby chickens as well.

How To Feed Kiwi To Chickens

Chickens are not a picky eater and will eat just about anything that you give to them. When it comes to kiwi fruits, they will eat as much as you give them. Since the kiwi fruit is too large for the chickens to eat it like that, there are several methods you can try to feed them.

Try some of the methods below to see which work for you:

  • Cut the kiwi fruit in half and place the fruit on their feeder.
  • Cut the fruit in half and scoop out the flesh and feed them to the chickens.
  • Cut the fruit open, scoop the flesh out and cut it into small pieces.
  • Cut the kiwi fruit open, scoop out the flesh and mash it with chicken feeds.

As you can see from above, there are many different ways to feed kiwi fruits to the chickens. You can also make fruit and vegetable salad for them as well. Add all other produce and add kiwi for a tasty and healthy treat for chickens.

How Much And How Often To Feed Kiwi To Chickens

When it comes to kiwi fruit, you should only feed them to the chickens in moderation. Fruits and vegetables should only consist of 10% of their diet. The other 90% is chicken feeds. Feeding them too much kiwi and other fruits could cause nutritional deficiencies.

Therefore, feeding the kiwi fruit once or twice each week is plenty enough for them to eat. You’ll also want to feed them other fruits beside kiwi as well.

At each feeding, one kiwi fruit for every five chickens is plenty. Again, you want to feed them kiwi as a treat only. Kiwi fruit doesn’t have enough nutrition that the chickens require daily. Feeding too much could prevent them from eating their main diet of chicken feeds.

Leave a Comment